Monday, November 26, 2018

Judas betrayed Jesus. Peter denied him. Since the beginning God was clear about not putting our trust in feeble men, even apostles or bishops, and thankfully proclaimed this part of the good news. The first Pope sinned horribly then repented. One of the twelve arrested him. Why in the world get side tracked for a moment by the behavior of bishops? I do not follow Jesus for them or for any man yet I accept the hierarchical structure instituted by Christ when he created the twelve as a means of governance. I see their successors in light of what Christ willed to reveal to us in the primordial sinfulness of the Church and the deeper mystery of Mercy working through it all. The good news is that in the face of our infidelity God is He who is Faithful and True. Don’t get sidetracked, disturbed, or discouraged. I’ve worked with amazing bishops and horrible bishops on three different continents and probably 30 different diocese. Sure I rejoice when I encounter a courageous or wise bishop as I mourn when I meet a coward or careerist. Yet frankly I really honestly don’t waste any time thinking about them and if I do whatever good or ill I encounter only propels me to Jesus Christ. What do I think about? The immense and towering work of proclaiming the Gospel in season and out of season to every living person in this world, remembering that part of that proclamation is that despite man’s weaknesses God still saves us. God loves this sinful Church and calls us to holiness in the midst of all sin and darkness. Remember that. Remember that the next time you are tempted to add to the noise, the doubt, the fear, the rage, the enormous gaping black hole that wants to suck everything into its oblivion of meaningless suffering and loss. Please please please try to remember that in the end it is all about charity and a huge part of growth in charity is enduring the lack of charity even within the Church. Let us pray for greater holiness in the Church, for a clearer proclamation of the saving truth of the Gospel and let us pray again and again and again for our bishops. Our Father...Hail Mary...Glory Be


via Instagram https://ift.tt/2r45fT9

No comments:

Post a Comment