Saturday, October 22, 2011

Spirit of Opposition to Your Loving Father

Why do you do things that you really wish you didn't do?  Why is part of you for God and part of you not?  In the readings for today's mass, St Paul tells us:
For I do not do the good I want, but I do the evil I do not want.  Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.  So, then, I discover the principle that when I want to do right, evil is at hand. For I take delight in the law of God, in my inner self, but I see in my members another principle at war with the law of my mind, taking me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members.
Listen to my homily for the day:



If you have trouble listening click here.

What is really happening is that our bodies participate in that spirit of rebellion, of opposition, of sin, against the Love that Our Father has for us.  Separated from his Abba, man becomes fearful and arrogant at the same time, building up his ego so much that if his Loving Father tried to break through the fortress, the mask, and the armor, he would dig his heals in and consider it an attack.  This is really where this spirit of opposition to God comes from.

How do we get rid of it?

The Cross.

It is a lot of work, discipline, and a lot of perseverance to submit that part of our hearts that is in opposition to the goodness and love of God, that it may be subdued and quieted like a baby who at first strikes the face of his daddy, but when he realizes he is safe is lulled to sleep in his hands.

Frequent, intense, consistent meditation on the passion of Our Lord, especially on Fridays, which are days of penance in the Church, can help free us of the evil that still lies at the door of our hearts.

Our Lady, who herself was at the foot of the Cross of Jesus, stands at our crosses, helps us graciously die to our selves.  May she help us and obtain for us from her Son the grace to be transformed in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment