Tuesday, November 5, 2013

You Were Born Yesterday and Tomorrow You Will Be Dead. Don't Make Excuses. Make it Count.

For, I tell you, none of those men who were invited will taste my dinner.



Listen to my homily for today:



If you have trouble listening, click here.

Pope Francis invites us to question ourselves about death.


You were born yesterday.  Tomorrow you will be dead.  You have only the decision for today, this moment, this life, which will be gone very quickly.

All you got is 1440 minutes in the day.  One fiftieth of that is the length of daily Mass, that is .02% of your day.  Use this time wisely.

It ain't automatic that you are going to heaven.  We aren't all going uptown, upstairs, to heaven - some will go downtown, downstairs, i.e. to hell.  So?  Make it count.

Don't allow the evil one to inspire very intelligent and smooth sounding excuses to absent yourself from the wedding banquet of the Lamb.  He is a master of excuses.

The Gospel of today is the good news of Jesus saving us from stupid excuses, like those who said, "I ask you, consider me excused."  What are they excusing themselves from?  Not just from the "King's Banquet," and not just from Sunday Mass, but ultimately the Lord is talking about heaven, the wedding banquet of the Lamb.

Some have really good excuses.  Even people like to point to the shortage of priests.  Can't make it to Mass?  Not available?  Take the 30 minutes of your day and make a spiritual act of communion by meditating devoutly and intensely on the Passion of Christ, which is what you should be doing at Mass anyway.  Don't say, "There aren't any masses available around here."  Here is a really good act of spiritual communion:
My Jesus, I believe that you are present in the most Blessed Sacrament. I love You above all things and I desire to receive You into my soul. Since I cannot now receive You sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You have already come, and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You. Amen.
Go to Mass in your heart, watch it on TV or listen to a good homily, meditate on the readings for the day.

Make it happen.

Make time.

Do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment