Sunday, March 3, 2013

Scrubbing Behind the Ears: An Examination of Conscience and the End to the Fundamental Option

St Joan of Arc's response to her persecutors asking if she was in a state of grace: "If I am, may it please God to keep me in it, and if I am not may it please God to bring me there."



Listen to my homily:



If you have trouble listening, click here.

Examination of Conscience by Human Life International:



Did I deny or doubt God’s existence? Did I refuse to believe God’s revelation?
Have I gone to a fortune teller, used good luck charms or practices any other form of the Occult? Did I deny that I was a Catholic? Did I leave the Catholic faith?


Did I despair of or presume on God’s mercy? Did I neglect prayer for a long time?
Did I blaspheme God or take God’s name in vain, curse or break an oath or vow?


Did I miss Mass on Sunday or a holy day of obligation through my own fault?
Am I always reverent in the presence of Jesus in the most Blessed Sacrament?
Was I inattentive at Mass? Did I come to Mass late? How late? Did I leave Mass early?
Did I do unnecessary physical work on Sunday?


Did I disobey or disrespect my parents or legiti- mate superior?
Did I neglect my duties to my husband, wife, chil- dren or parents?

Did I fail to actively take an interest in the reli- gious education and formation of my children? Have I failed to educate myself on the true teach- ings of the Church?

Did I give a full day’s work in return for my full day’s pay?
Did I give a fair wage to my employee?
Did I give scandal by what I said or did, especial- ly to the young? Was I the cause of anyone leav- ing the Faith?

Was I impatient, angry, envious, unkind, proud, jealous, revengeful, hateful toward others, lazy? Did I give bad example, abuse drugs, drink alcohol to excess, fight or quarrel?
Did I physically injure or kill anyone? Have or advise for an abortion? Procuring an abortion some- times incurs the penalty of excommunication. This should be addressed with your priest during confession. (Canon 1398) Did I participate in or approve of the grave evil known as “mercy killing?” Did I attempt suicide? NOTE: Sexual sins are always grave and are mor- tal if combined with full knowledge and deliber- ate consent of the will.

Did I willfully entertain impure thoughts and desires? Did I dress immodestly?
Did I use impure or suggestive words? Tell impure stories? Or listen to them?


Did I deliberately look at impure things, TV, videos, plays, pictures or movies? Or deliberately read impure material?
Did I commit an impure act by myself or with another? Which acts?


Did I marry or advise another to marry outside the Church?
Did I abuse my marriage rights? Was I unfaithful to my marriage vows?

Have I kept company with someone else’s spouse?

Did I practice artificial birth control or was I or my spouse sterilized?
Did I practice in vitro fertilization?
Did I steal, cheat, help or encourage others to steal, or keep stolen goods? Have I made restitution for stolen goods?


Did I fulfill my contracts, give or accept bribes, pay my bills, rashly gamble or speculate, deprive my family of necessities of life?
Did I tell lies? Deliberately to deceive? Or injure others by lies? Did I commit perjury? Was I unchar- itable in word or deed, gossip or reveal others’ faults and sins? Fail to keep secrets I should have?


Did I eat meat on Fridays of Lent or Ash Wednesday? Did I fast as required on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday?
Did I fail to receive Holy Communion during Easter time? Fail to confess at least once a year? Did I go to Holy Communion in the state of mortal sin? Without fasting (water and medicine permit- ted) for one hour from food and drink?

Did I make a bad confession?
Did I fail to contribute to the support of the Church? 

No comments:

Post a Comment